Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Four Books today

So this morning before work I got two packages, a small one from booktopia books and a big one from amazon. They both had knitting books in them. Tonight i have read a bit from all of them and think they are all great and I cant wait to read more and try things from them. The first is The Yarn Harlot's At Knits End: Meditations for Women who Knit too much. This book is filled with anecdotes and tips for knitting. I haven't read a lot of it yet but I like that I can just open it to a random page and get an important tip.

The other three books are all about spinning! Boy was I excited to get home and start to read them. I have read the first couple of chapters of each so far and find that all of them have good information and varied information from each authors perspectives which is great for me because I know NOTHING about spinning yet. I have ordered both a top whorl and a bottom whorl spindle with some roving from an Etsy shop so I hope that I learn something from these books.

The first book is Spinning in the Old Way by Priscilla A. Gibson-Roberts. Its a small book with black and white illustrations. It is well written and easy to follow with seemingly good advice on how to spin with a top whorl hand spindle. So far it has given lots of goon information about how to start spinning. She has made it clear that it is her way of doing things that she is explaining and that there are many other ways to spin yarn and this is just one thing to try.

The next book was Start Spinning by Maggie Casey. I heard about this book on the Lime and violet podcast (I am still very behind only having just listened to the episode from May of 2008) and when I went to amazon to find it the other two were bundled with it and I had heard them talking about each of them too. This book has nice clear, instructional photos throughout and is very easy to read.

The final book I received today was Spin to Knit by Shannon Okey. Again there is some nice and clear step by step photos in this book but not as many as in the Start Spinning one. But this book has a lot more ground to cover. This book seems to cover everything from getting a rubbish bag full of fleece left on your doorstep to the patterns for making objects from your hand spun yarn. The information is great. I am not so thrilled about some of the patterns in the end of the book however. There are a lot of things on there that I just would not make. But the info in it is great.

So today was a good mail day. Not only did I get the books but the case of wine I ordered on the weekend was delivered here too. And thank god someone was here to receive it because I wouldn't want to leave a case of Chardonnay out on the from veranda. It could have gotten stolen of over heated. Both would have ruined it.

1 comment:

  1. I came from the Promotions forum to see your new background. I didn't see you old one, but I LOVE this one!

    ReplyDelete